When attempting to copy or edit a document, ShareGate's migration tool displays the following message:
Cannot perform this operation because the item you try to replace is currently checked out.
When copying or editing a document in a list configured to require a checkout to edit, the ShareGate migration tool needs to check out the document before editing or copying it. If a file is checked out during a migration tool operation, the ShareGate migration tool cannot check the document back in, and you will see this error.
The most common cause for a file being checked out during a migration tool operation is a workflow that runs automatically when a new document is added or when a document is updated. The workflow can check out the file, and this would cause the error.
There are three possible solutions to this issue:
- Turn off your workflows and event handlers that cause documents to be checked out while using ShareGate's migration tool.
- If no workflow is set to run automatically, discard the checkout on the target document and try to rerun the operation. It might have happened because someone checked out the document while you ran the operation in ShareGate's migration tool.
- Check-in all checked-out documents by following this path in the New Report feature in Reporting:
- Click Reporting
- Select New Report
- Select Object Type Document
- Select Checked Out Status Is Checked Out
- Continue either with or without saving
- Select your target
- Click Run
- Click Edit selected result(s)
- Select Transformation Check In As [required version]. Note: You can also Discard Checked Out to achieve the same result, but this transformation is not recommended as it will delete any changes a user made to the checked-out document.
- Click Apply
- Click Continue
- All your selected documents will now be checked in.