The Server extension allows the ShareGate migration tool to make one call to get a file and all its versions simultaneously. Without the extension, the ShareGate migration tool must make one call per version.
For example, if you have 100 files to copy, and each of those has 20 versions:
- With the Server extension - 100 calls are required.
- Without the Server extension - 2000 calls are required.
You must have administrative rights on your SharePoint server.
Your SharePoint server must have .NET framework 3.5 to perform the Server extension installation.
You know where to install the extension, depending on your migration goals:
- List of values the Server extension preserves
- List of versions that require the Server extension to run Insane mode
Installing the Server extension will not cause downtime on your SharePoint server and does not require a reboot.
- Download the Server extension installer.
- Launch the Server extension installer, and follow the steps in the Setup Wizard.
You must install the Server extension on all your SharePoint web front-end servers, including where your Central administration is hosted, which could also be an app server.
If you get an unauthorized error, try running the installer as an administrator with the following steps:
- Locate Command Prompt in Windows.
- Right-click Command Prompt.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Type msiexec /i followed by a space, and then the path of the installer
(i.e.: msiexec /i C:\Users\[youruser.account]\Desktop\Sharegate.Extension.2.2.0.msi).
- Press Enter.