You can install a fully-featured trial version of ShareGate that expires after a 15 days period.
- How to start a trial
- Download the migration tool
- Understand how the migration tool works
- Connect to your environments
- Get started with the migration tool
- Tips and Tricks
How to start a trial
Create a ShareGate account, and a trial subscription will automatically get created and associated to that new account.
Download the migration tool
You can download the migration tool from ShareGate Home. Select Migration in the menu and you can find a link to download the migration tool.
Understand how the migration tool works
ShareGate's migration tool works client-side. It can be installed on any workstation, including your personal laptop. Our tool uses SharePoint APIs to perform most of its operations. In a few cases, you may have to install our Server Extension.
To learn how the tool works based on your scenario, see Migration flow diagrams.
Note: When using the trial for the migration tool, some items and documents may be randomly skipped during a migration.
Connect to your environments
Whether you are cloud based, on-premises, or migrating from on-premises to Microsoft 365, you connect to your environments the same way.
The ShareGate migration tool uses HTTP/HTTPS ports to connect to your environment. Make sure the account you are using to connect to your environment has sufficient rights.
Get started with the migration tool
See our migration guide to learn everything you need to know about running a complex migration. For now, you can get started with these steps:
- Run a Source analysis of your source environment to see what you have and the effort it will take to migrate your content. You do not need to connect to any destination to run a Source analysis.
- Get a complete overview of your permissions with the Permission Matrix Report. Post-migration, confirm with Site owners that users still have access to what they used to.
- Leverage our pre-built reports or build some reports of your own.
- Decide on a small sample list or subsite you want to migrate.
- Run a pre-check report and get familiar with the errors. They often come with a hyperlink to our Help Center, so you can easily solve them
- Fix the errors and warnings. If you can't find a solution, feel free to reach out to your assigned the ShareGate migration tool Expert (one should reach out to you when you sign up for a trial, if not please contact us).
- Once all the errors and warnings flagged in the pre-check report are fixed, copy the same list or subsite
- Have a look at your newly migrated object from your browser.
Tips and Tricks
- Start with a small migration to get a benchmark in terms of performance. Our migration guide will give you the best practices to reach optimal performance when migrating with the migration tool.
- Planning a SharePoint migration is probably more important than the migration itself. Make sure you involve your users throughout the process so you make this move a success.
- Build a SharePoint Migration Plan, see Building a SharePoint migration plan.
- Learn the challenges you could encounter with your migration project, see 10 Reasons your SharePoint Migration Failed.