Activate Auditing lets you activate additional SharePoint auditing events to improve the results of your Audit Report.
- Your environment is a SharePoint 2010 or above on-premises farm (auditing is not supported on Microsoft 365).
- You have site collection admin permissions on your targeted site collection(s).
- You are connected to your site collection(s) or SharePoint central admin.
Note: Site collection admin permissions are required even if you have higher admin privileges like Farm admin permissions. For more information click here.
Tip: To manage all your site collections, you can connect to your SharePoint central admin with Farm admin permissions.
- Select the item you would like to perform the action on from the Explorer.
- Click Activate Auditing in the Quick actions menu.
- Verify the target of the action.
- Select the auditing events (Note: Opening or downloading documents, viewing items in lists or viewing item properties cannot be tracked by SharePoint 2016 and Microsoft 365.)
- Click Activate now (you can also schedule this task).
- The task will now run.
- In the case that there are warnings or errors, they will be displayed with details in separate tabs near Results.