This expected behavior can cause a discrepancy when you compare the file count in Windows with the file count in your Migration report or Source analysis details.
- Expected behavior
- How-to get a more precise item count
- Manage hidden items
- When running a Source analysis on your file share, system and hidden folders are available to select for analysis.
- The size of the source analysis details will be 0.00 for system and hidden folders and will display a total item count of 1, regardless of their content.
- Hidden files in non-hidden folders will appear in your source analysis details.
Import from file share
- From the Migration screen, you will not be able to view any hidden or system files or folders, or select them for migration. This means that there may be a discrepancy in the Migration screen item count and your item count in Windows.
- If you migrate a folder that contains hidden files those files will not be migrated. The items will show in your Migration report with a Status of Skipped .
How-to get a more precise item count
To validate your migration with a more precise file count from the source, you can use the Command Prompt in Windows to generate 2 reports that will provide you with information about these hidden and system items in your file share.
With these reports, you can subtract the number of hidden and system items from the total number of items in your file share.
To generate the files, follow these steps:
- Select the Start button on the Windows taskbar.
- Type and select Command Prompt.
- Select the drive or folder you want to find the hidden or system items on.
- To select the root of a drive, type the letter of the drive followed by a colon (:) and press enter.
- To select the root of a folder, type cd (for change directory), drag and drop the wanted folder next to the command or type the path manually, and press enter.
- Type the following code for your system files:
dir /S /A:S > systemfiles.txt
- Press Enter.
- Type the following code for your hidden files:
dir /S /A:H > hiddenfiles.txt
- Press Enter.
- In Windows, open the File Explorer, go to the root of the drive or folder you selected at step (3), and you will find the two reports you generated at steps (4) and (6).
Manage hidden items
You can hide and unhide items from the View tab of the File Explorer in Windows.
To see your hidden items, add a checkmark in the Hidden items box.
To hide or unhide a specific item, select Hide selected items in the menu (the button is blue when an item is hidden).