- What is provisioning?
- Is provisioning the same as configuring?
- Can I use ShareGate provisioning if my tenant has group creation restrictions?
What is provisioning?
In an IT context, provisioning is setting up, configuring, and deploying a system.
When you create an IT infrastructure to serve your organization best, take steps to manage access to resources securely, and declare end-user settings for the cloud, that is provisioning.
With ShareGate, Provisioning lets you create templates for end-users in your environment to create teams in a secure and governable way. In your templates you can set:
- A minimum number of team owners required.
- The new team's privacy level.
- Default channels, including their name, description, and privacy level.
- You can remove the wiki tab of any channel by default.
Is provisioning the same as configuring?
No. Configuration refers to arranging something's pieces to perform a particular task or create a specific outcome. Provisioning represents the end-to-end process of achieving that outcome.
Configuration is often a part of the provisioning process. For example, with ShareGate's Provisioning features, you can configure the template used for team creation.
Can I use ShareGate provisioning if my tenant has group creation restrictions?
Yes. If your tenant has group creation restrictions (such as the ones outlined here), your organization can use ShareGate provisioning. However, your co-workers will only be able to use provisioning templates that require approval.