The ShareGate migration tool determines that a site is unused when it has not been modified in the past 6 months.
To determine the last modified date of a site, the ShareGate migration tool uses the latest date from the following:
- Creation date of the site
- Creation date of a list in the site
- Last modified date of an item from a list in the site
- Last date an item was deleted from a list in the site
Tip: You can manage unused Microsoft 365 team sites associated with Microsoft 365 groups and archive them with their owner's permission in ShareGate. For more info, see Inactivity management features overview.
Run the Report
- Click All reports
- Click Unused Site Report under Built-in reports.
- Select the target of the report.
- Click Next.
- Set your options.
- Click Schedule or Run now.
- You will now get a list of all unused sited associated to your selected target.
Take Action on Unused Sites
- Select the site(s) you wish to delete.
- Click Download from the Quick actions menu.
- Select your preferred configuration.
- Click Download.
- Select your preferred location for the download.
- Click OK.
- Wait for the download to complete.
- Return to your Unused Site Report by clicking Back.
- The site(s) you downloaded should still be selected, if not, select them again.
- Click Delete permanently.
To learn how to modify a report and save it (add filters and add/remove columns), see Custom reports.
For more on reports, see Reporting options.
Tip: Looking to set your own time range? Run a custom report, select Site as your Object type, and Filter to Last modified date -> Older than, then input your time range.