The ShareGate migration tool is a client-side application that connects to your Microsoft 365 environment with your Microsoft 365 credentials. As such, there are many factors that could influence your capability to connect to Microsoft 365.
Update the ShareGate migration tool
The ShareGate migration tool is frequently updated to comply to Microsoft's newest standards. These new standards can affect your connection.
Connect in your browser
Connect to your site or admin center directly in your browser on the same workstation the ShareGate migration tool is installed on.
- If you can connect: Make sure you are using the same URL and credentials in the ShareGate migration tool.
- If you can't connect: Contact your SharePoint or network administrator.
Try all the authentication modes in the ShareGate migration tool
Depending on your configuration, it is possible that the default authentication method will not work for your Tenant. Try all the authentication methods (Current Windows User, Other user, Browser) to see if any of them work for you.
Connect with SharePoint Designer
SharePoint Designer and the ShareGate migration tool are very similar in their way to connect to SharePoint as they are both client-side applications. You can get SharePoint Designer for free from Microsoft.
- If you can connect with SharePoint Designer: Make sure you're using the same URL and credentials in the ShareGate migration tool.
- If you cannot connect with SharePoint Designer: Contact your SharePoint or network administrator, or Microsoft's support.
Using Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
The Browser authentication method is the only authentication method that supports MFA configurations.
If the authentication token provided by SharePoint expires, the ShareGate migration tool cannot automatically re-authenticate because credentials are not stored when using MFA and the Browser authentication method.
- To obtain a new token: In Explorer, Disconnect from your environment, then click +Add connection to reconnect.
- To modify the token: Contact your IT team or Microsoft 365 admin to request the authentication token never expires.
Note: the ShareGate migration tool supports most MFA configurations, but if you are having issues authenticating, it is possible that you may need to contact support to validate if your configuration is supported.
You might need assistance from a SharePoint or network administrator to validate these points.
Ensure your SharePoint Tenant has a root site collection
The absence of a root site collection in your environment will cause authentication errors as the ShareGate migration tool needs information from the root site collection to authenticate your account.
Verify that there is no proxy, firewall, or antivirus blocking your connection
Your network can reject the connection request from the ShareGate migration tool.
- If you're using an antivirus: Try disabling it.
- If you're using a proxy: Check if you need to enter proxy information on your network.
- If you're using a proxy or firewall: Make sure you are allowing the ShareGate migration tool to access to the proper ports and URLS on your network.
The connection still does not work?
Our support team will be happy to help you solve the issue. To get a faster resolution, please provide the following information:
- Are you using the latest version of the ShareGate migration tool?
- What was the error message you received?
- What have you tried from this article? More details are often better than not enough.
- Are you or have you spoken to a network administrator?