The ShareGate migration tool provides you with easy-to-use features that help you complete your migration project.
Simple SharePoint sites are simple to migrate, but the challenge rises considerably when dealing with complex SharePoint environments.
This guide will help you overcome the challenges you might face with your more complex elements and get you started with your migration project.
- How the ShareGate migration tool works
- What to expect during a migration
- Content and structure
- How to use this guide
How the ShareGate migration tool works
The ShareGate migration tool is a client-side application that interacts between your source and destination environments.
Knowing how the application works in the background will help you better understand some sections of this guide.
To learn more about how the migration tool works, check the article that best fits your scenario in the Migration flow diagrams section.
What to expect during a migration
All migrations can be vastly different. Testing is the best way to estimate the time it will take and what type of challenges you could face.
Total migration time has more to do with the complexity of your environment than the total size of your sites and files. We will expand on this later in the guide.
Content and structure
We reference content and structure often in the application.
- Content is used for list items and documents; it is the content of your lists and libraries.
- Structure is used to define elements that hold and affect your content; structure elements include Lists, libraries, sites, site collections, content types, etc.
How to use this guide
This advanced guide is arranged in steps to help you plan and complete your migration project.
We will go over the different phases of a migration project, provide you with general information about things to look out for, and offer useful links to more detailed information.
The sections of this guide are:
- Prepare - Get your environment and the ShareGate migration tool ready for your migration project.
- Learn - Discover how you can use the ShareGate migration tool for your migration project.
- Plan - Everything you need to know and some tips to help you create your migration schedule.
- Validate - Confirm that your data was successfully migrated and some tips to manage the new environment.