the ShareGate migration tool is a client-side only application that uses available APIs (CSOM, REST, GRAPH, SOAP, etc.) and other methods to copy your source elements at the destination. The app does not interact directly with your database(s).
Box.com migrations can only be performed in PowerShell. For more information see the articles below:
- Authorize the ShareGate migration tool in Box.com
- Impersonate an owner for Box.com migration
- Walkthrough - Import from Box.com to OneDrive for Business with PowerShell
- Import from Box.com
- The ShareGate migration tool sends requests to the Box.com APIs to authenticate your account and get your data from the source.
- Your Box.com content, permissions, and metadata are packaged and sent to the ShareGate migration tool.
- To authenticate your account the app sends a request to its online services in Azure to get an authentication token and a secret key from Box.com. The token is then sent to the app and used to authenticate your account securely on Box.com at point (1).
- Requests are sent to get information from the destination.
In Normal mode to a Microsoft 365 destination or any speed mode to an on premises version of SharePoint, your files are sent directly to your destination library instead of the Azure storage described at point (7).
- the ShareGate migration tool sends requests to your Active Directory through SharePoint's people picker service to resolve your users for permissions and metadata values, like created by and modified by.
- the ShareGate migration tool receives information from the requests sent at point (4).
- When you migrate to a Microsoft 365 destination in Insane mode, the ShareGate migration tool uses the SharePoint online migration API. Your files are packaged and sent to an Azure Storage with a manifest package. Some requests are sent to Azure to get a status update for the import to Microsoft 365 process that occurs at point (8).
- Microsoft 365 imports the packages from the Azure Storage to your destination library.
- Azure returns status updates about the packages being imported to Microsoft 365.
Note: The data that transitions through the ShareGate migration tool is encrypted when you connect to Box.com and to a SharePoint site that uses HTTPS. At point (7), Microsoft encrypts your data at rest with AES CBC 256 Standard encryption. For more information see Encryption and security.