Microsoft Planner gives people a visual way to organize teamwork, assign tasks, manage deadlines, and follow up on projects.
With ShareGate's migration tool, you can copy your Planner plans within the same tenant or to a new tenant into an existing team or group.
- The Azure ShareGate migration tool application is consented on your tenant.
- You have global admin or SharePoint admin permissions.
- If you do not have global admin permissions, you will need Teams admin permissions and SharePoint admin permissions.
- You have a working Teams license for the source and destination.
- You have logged into Teams at least once (in a browser or the Teams app) to access the hosted content.
Note: The prerequisites apply to your source and destination if you migrate Planner plans to another tenant.
- Select Copy from the sidebar.
- Select Copy Planner plans.
- Select your source tenant in the left corner if it is already connected.
- If your source tenant is not connected, click No connections then +Add connection.
- Select the plans you want to copy.
- Select your destination tenant if it's already connected.
- If your destination tenant is not already connected, click +Add connection.
- Click to change your copy options.
- Click to map users.
- Click the edit icon that appears when you hover your mouse on a plan to rename it at the destination.
- Select the destination team or group where you want to copy your plan(s) from the dropdown.
- Click Start copy to migrate your plans.
- Click Schedule copy to migrate your plans at a later time.
- When you start the copy, the migration tool will take you to the task summary page, where you will be able to monitor the progress of the migration.
- Once the action is completed, the migration report will show any successes, warnings, or errors. For more information, see Migration report.
- The plan, buckets, and tasks are copied.
- The order of the buckets and tasks is kept.
- The task comments in each migrated plan are emailed to the team's Outlook. To optimize your migration time and reduce the number of email notifications, comments are aggregated in a single email, up to 50 comments per email.
- Members receive a task assignment email for all their assigned tasks.
- Members of a team or group are automatically members of the plans associated with their team or group if they are available at the destination. They can access the content of the plans even if their image does not appear in the Planner app.
- You can change the members of your plans and the people assigned to some tasks with user mappings. For more information on users, see User mapping below.
- The background is not preserved.
- The notification settings are not preserved.
- Users' plans marked as favorites are not kept.
- Task assignment and task comment emails are sent by default and cannot be disabled.
- Task authors, comment authors, and timestamps are only preserved in comments.
- Created by and Completed by will be replaced by the user account you use for your migration.
- Created date time and Completed date time will be replaced by the date and time of the migration.
- For tasks, the authors and timestamps information will be added as a comment. For comments, the information is added directly in the comment.
- The number of tasks you can migrate with a single connected user account is affected by Microsoft 365's limitations, which you can find in their Microsoft Planner limits article.
- Planner restrictions apply, for example:
- There is a maximum of 200 plans per team.
- There is a limit of approximately 2,400 tasks per plan.
When a team or group is private, the migration tool cannot list the plans if the account you are connected with is not a member of the team or group. Being an owner of the team or group does not solve this issue. Only being a member will allow the migration tool to list these plans.
Relationship to productivity apps
Microsoft provides several productivity apps, including Tasks, To-Do, Planner, and Tasks by Planner and to do.
Tasks and To Do are Outlook-based applications for creating personal tasks and displaying the Planner tasks assigned to users. The ShareGate migration tool does not support Tasks, To Do, or the tasks created in Tasks or To Do.
Tasks by Planner and To Do is a Teams-based application for displaying personal Tasks/To Do tasks and the Planner tasks assigned to users. When you migrate a plan, the assigned Planner tasks will appear in the Tasks by Planner and To Do app of your user as long as that user is available in the destination tenant when you perform the migration.
Migrated tasks will be unassigned if their assigned users are unavailable at the destination.
If the source user is mapped to an available user at the destination, the Planner tasks will become assigned to the mapped user. That user will find the tasks in their Tasks by Planner and To Do and Tasks/To Do apps.